Stuffed Chicken Breasts
Prep Time 20 min
Cooking Time 25 min
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 4 oz. mushrooms (porcini, cremini or shitake) thinly sliced
- 4 thin slices prosciutto
- 3/4 C. fontina cheese grated
- 1 small garlic clove thinly sliced
- 8 oz. plum tomatoes peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh basil leaves julienned
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pound chicken breasts to a thickness of 1/4 inch.
- Heat 3 tbsp of the oil in a skillet. Add the mushrooms and saute until they begin to get a little colour. Season with salt and pepper and set aside to cool.
- Arrange 1 slice of prosciutto on each chicken breast. Sprinkle with the fontina cheese. Spoon 1/4 of the mushroom mixture on the center of each cutlet. Fold the long end of the cutlet toward the center, then roll up enclosing the mushroom filling.
- Tie the rolls with kitchen string. Place them seam side down in a small baking dish that has been lightly oiled.
- Heat oven to 350F/180C /Gas mark 4.
- Rub 2 tbsp oil on the outside of the chicken rolls. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a small skillet over medium high heat. Add the garlic and saute until light golden brown. Add the tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the basil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When the chicken is ready, remove the string. Cut each piece of chicken in 4 pieces. Spoon 1/4 of the tomato sauce over each one and serve.
- Baking dish