Prep time 15 mins
Cooking time 45 mins
- 250g/8oz minced beef
- 3 rashers of finely chopped streaky bacon or pancetta
- 1 Green pepper chopped
- 1 large very finely grated carrots
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed or very finely chopped
- 1 tsp of dried oregano, or 2 tsp of fresh
- 1 tbsp of freshly chopped parsley, or 2 tbsp of fresh
- 1 Cup freshly chopped basil
- 1 400g/14oz tin of chopped tomatoes
- 4 tbsp Passata or tomato paste
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil for frying
- 300ml/1/2 pint beef stock
- Gently fry the chopped onion, garlic and pepper until onions are translucent
- Add the meat and fry brown and no more liquid is left
- Stir in the carrots, then add the basil, parsley and oregano.
- Pour in the tinned tomatoes with the puree
- Add the stock and season to taste
- Leave to simmer gently for about 45 minutes stirring from time to time
- Serve with your favourite pasta and a crispy side salad.
- Large frying pan
- You can add mushrooms to this recipe,if doing so add with the tomatoes.
- Add more passata or tomato paste if too dry.
- I usually make the day before if we are sharing it with friends, tastes even better as all the flavours have had 24 hours to marinate.
- Minced beef
- Pancetta or bacon
- Green pepper
- Tinned tomatoes