Although parsnips are not in season here, they are still available in the larger supermarkets.
You can indulge without piling on the calories with this recipe!
Normally it’s made with fresh cream, full fat milk and crème fraiche, which tastes gorgeous, but this is healthier and yes, it still tastes gorgeous..
Grab some fresh thyme
A little milk & crème fraiche
A few parsnips, a little Parmesan, season and you’re done!
This is a great accompaniment for steak, burgers or Sunday lunch, enjoy!
Prep Time 10mins
Cooking Time 40-50 mins
- 450g/1lb Parsnips, peeled and sliced lengthways, approx 2.5cm/1” thick
- A knob of low fat butter spread for greasing
- 200ml/7fl oz Half fat or Weightwatchers Crème fraiche
- 200ml Semi skimmed milk
- 2 Large pinches fresh thyme, leaves only
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Bring the parsnips to the boil in unsalted water, simmer for 4-5 minutes
- Carefully lift them out with a slotted spoon, so that they don’t break up
- Grease a suitable oven proof dish with the low fat butter spread
- Lay the parsnips in the dish
- Mix the crème fraiche and milk together
- Add the thyme and season
- Stir thoroughly and pour over the parsnips
- Sprinkle over the parmesan cheese, just enough to cover lightly
- Bake in a preheated oven 170°C /fan 160°C/325°F/Gas mark 3 for 40-50 mins depending on your oven, they should be golden and bubbling