We love caramelised onions in our house, usually I cook them in the wok, but after reading Jessica’s (Food Mayhem) post on doing them in the slow cooker I decided to try out her idea.
I used a mix of red and white onions, the red ones will loose a bit of colour but the sweetness remained. It worked perfectly, in fact it made it so much easier.
They tasted just the same as the wok method but far less hassle, you just throw them in the pot and let them do their thing!
We used some of them for onion gravy and froze the rest in small portions.
FYI At 12 hours they still had a slight crunch, at 14 hours they are completely soft.
Makes 3lb 8oz Caramelised onions
Prep Time 10 mins
Cooking Time 12-14 hours
- 3lbs 8oz Red and white onions, peeled
- 4oz Unsalted butter, sliced
- Set the slow cooker (crock pot on high for 15 minutes)
- Thinly slice the onions, I used a V Slicer
- Lay the onions in the slow cooker and put the sliced butter on top
- Turn the heat down to low and cook for 12 –14 hours
- Stir once or twice or just leave them over night
- Slow cooker (crock pot)
- Unsalted butter