Homemade Vegetable Soup
Prep Time 15 min
Cooking Time 40 min
- 2 tbsp/25g 1 oz unsalted butter
- 1 lb/450g carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion, skinned and sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 oz/50g lentils
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/8 cup/40g sieved plain flour
- 450 ml/ 3/4 pint milk
- Melt the butter and saute the carrots, onion, potatoes until softened.
- Add 450 ml/3/4 pint water, lentils, salt, pepper and bay leaf
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Mix the flour with a little of the milk and gradually blend in the rest.
- Stir well into the soup until it thickens.
- Simmer for 5 minutes
- Pour into a serving dish, garnish with parsley and sprinkle with croutons.
- Serve immediately.
- 1 large saucepan