Prep Time 5 mins (plus cleaning mussels)
Cooking Time 20 mins
- 1 Kilo Mussels
- 1 oz Butter
- 1 Medium onion-finely chopped
- 1-2 cloves Garlic-finely chopped
- 1/2 bottle White wine
- 1/4 pint/5 fl ozs Single cream
- Clean the mussels and remove the beards.
- Discard any that remain open (a sharp tap on the shell with the back of a knife will close the live ones. so they're safe)
- Melt the butter in a large deep saucepan.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic.
- Cook gently until the onion is translucent.
- Add the wine and bring to the boil.
- Then add the mussels and cook for 2-3 minutes, until all the shells have opened.
- Any shells that stay shut should be discarded.
- Stir in the cream.
- Large deep saucepan.
- If you like your food hot without taking away the flavour of the mussels add a small chopped chilli with the onions and garlic and leave out the cream.
- Serve with crusty bread